ISIQALO DEVELOPMENT TRUST PROJECT
Isiqalo’s first step was to address the “desire for aesthetics” at the Matjiesrivier school, by obtaining permission from Normat to pick and sell fruit left on the trees after harvest time. Boxes of fruit were packed and sold to friends and family!
The funds were used to buy flowers and a tree, which was planted at the school. The flowers were planted in tyres, and the staff and learners of the school took ownership of the project by watering and caring for the flowers. In the meantime, grass and more trees have been planted, cement walkways have been built and cement flowerpots with beautiful flowers placed on the grounds.
HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL
- The school was started in 1942.
- The Matjiesrivier Primary School was established by a missionary and his wife.
- Its doors were open to anyone who wanted to attend.
- Mr Apollos was the first teacher.
- Dr Beets was involved with the school as well and provided a pedal organ.
MATJIESRIVIER PRIMARY: OUR STORY
WHO ARE WE?
- This is a primary school on the farm Matjiesrivier, 40km outside of Ceres, on the R46 between Ceres and Touwsrivier.
- It is the last school on the way to the Ceres Karoo.
- We’re educating 62 children from a farm worker community.
- Staff consists of 4 educators and 1 admin staff member.
- The school building has two class rooms, an office and toilets.
- A prefabricated building is used as the kitchen.
WHO DO WE WANT TO BE?
A school community where learners are being treated with dignity, where they respect themselves and others and where learners flourish.
WHAT ARE OUR PLANS?
To renovate our school building and terrain, to maintain it and keep on improving it as a clean, friendly and aesthetically beautiful environment.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS FOR THEIR CONTRIBUTION
NOVARE EQUITY PARTNERS
PROJECTS AT THE MATJIESRIVIER PRIMARY
We also painted the school, expanded the garden, made cement paths and flower pots and planted flowers in them.
“The need for ethics is determined by the need for aesthetics.”